Strength training is in. Pilates are out. Those are the findings of a survey by the American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM) that predicts major health and fitness trends for the coming year. A quick rundown:
1. Educated and certified fitness pros: More fitness programs tied to businesses and organizations mean more jobs for fitness experts.
2. Strength training: Yes, body builders pump iron, but regular folk, in increasing numbers. rely on weights to improve or maintain strength, and rehabilitate injuries.
3. Body weight training: This back-to-basics approach, which requires only a minimum amount of equipment, is all the rage in gyms everywhere.
4. Obesity programs for children: A chronic -- and frightening -- health issue demands more specialized physical activities for those in need.
5. Exercise and weight loss: More people are realizing that incorporating exercise and into their daily diet routine is essential for weight-loss maintenance.
Other major fitness trends listed near the top of the survey include: