Manly men do not order cosmos in bars. They order manly cocktails, says Stew Ellington, author of the new "901 Very Good Cocktails" (Felix Press, $25, 240 pages), which includes a list of more than 125 of the very manliest. Here are five from his list -- and there's not a pink drink among them:
1. The Absinthe Mind Eraser: This ominous cocktail layers coffee liqueur, absinthe and soda water over ice.
2. The Laphroaig Project: The idea of using smoky scotch in a cocktail is so startling, but the mixologists at San Francisco's hippest speakeasies couldn't resist mixing Laphroaig with green and yellow chartreuse, bitters, maraschino and lemon.
3. The Corpse Reviver: The corpse in question is that of a hung-over gentleman, not a "Walking Dead" character, who might not appreciate this mix of gin, Cointreau, Lillet Blanc, lemon and absinthe. (We're not sure if zombies drink Zombies, but you will not find fruity, umbrella drinks on Ellington's manly cocktails list.)
4. Man O'War: What could be manlier than a cocktail named after a racehorse? This one boasts bourbon with a citrusy zing from triple sec, sweet vermouth and lemon juice.
5. The Dirty Martini: James Bond's signature martini is fine, but a Dirty Martini includes the brine from the olives.