The homicide suspects: Warner Travis, 19, of Las Vegas and Menlo Park residents Jerry Coneal, 19, Delmon Armstead, 19, and Bianca Barrow, 20.
The homicide suspects: Warner Travis, 19, of Las Vegas and Menlo Park residents Jerry Coneal, 19, Delmon Armstead, 19, and Bianca Barrow, 20. (Stan Olszewski/SOSKIphoto)

Milpitas Police Chief Steve Pangelinan this afternoon announced the apprehension of three men and a woman in connection to last year's slaying of 7-Eleven employee and Milpitas resident Mohammad "Moe" Reza Sadeghzadeh, that yielded $200.

"I'm happy to report that we've had some success and I'm here to report that to you today," Pangelinan told members of the media, during a rare press conference at police headquarters.

Pangelinan, who would not discuss specifics of the case or the suspects, said four individuals had been arrested and charged with murder and robbery.

They are Warner Travis, 19, of Las Vegas and Menlo Park residents Jerry Coneal, 19, Delmon Armstead, 19, and Bianca Barrow, 20.

Travis was arrested at the Menlo Park Police Department on Dec. 6. Armstead was arrested at a hotel in Santa Clara on Dec. 6. Barrow was arrested at the Menlo Park Police Department on Dec. 9. Coneal had been in custody in San Mateo County on separate, undisclosed charges.

Pangelinan said multiple agencies contributed in the arrest, including the U.S. Marshal's Office and Menlo Park Police Department.

"We receive a lot of intelligence from the Menlo Park Police Department; I can't comment on the extent that they provided us," Pangelinan said.

The police chief noted at the time of the killing, two suspects -- Coneal and Armstead -- were 17 years old, but all are being charged as adults.


Advertisement

"He will be brought to Santa Clara County at some point to face charges of murder and robbery," Pangelinan said.

Pangelinan confirmed the case has been filed with the Santa Clara County District Attorney's Office and the defendants are expected to appear in court sometime in late December.

"Please understand this case is under investigation as we speak, but we've got this far; we were able to get four individuals into custody," Pangelinan said.

A portrait of Mohammad Reza Sadeghzadeh, a 67-year-old Milpitas 7-Eleven night clerk who was murdered on September 8, 2012 during a 2:13 a.m. robbery, is
A portrait of Mohammad Reza Sadeghzadeh, a 67-year-old Milpitas 7-Eleven night clerk who was murdered on September 8, 2012 during a 2:13 a.m. robbery, is displayed during a press conference at the Milpitas Police Department in Milpitas, California, on December 12, 2013. (Stan Olszewski/SOSKIphoto) (Stan Olszewski)
"There's still many, many more hours of work ahead of us in terms of the investigation. There's just a lot of case specifics and facts that we can't speak to. As the case evolves in the criminal justice process there will be more information that will be revealed at each step."

Milpitas Lt. Henry Kwong read three personal statements from the Sadeghzadeh family, his sons and wife about "Moe" -- a man who loved sports, fine cigars, classic films and music -- and expressing their gratitude to law enforcement to make the arrests possible. No family members were present at the press conference.

"We were excited when we presented the news to their family (about the arrests)," Pangelinan said.

Sadeghzadeh, 67, was fatally shot during an early morning robbery on Sept.

8, 2012 at the 7-Eleven store at 1496 N. Milpitas Blvd.

Three days after the slaying, Milpitas Police Department released images from surveillance footage of the robbery, which revealed armed men wearing hooded sweatshirts entering the store and confronting Sadeghzadeh.

"For the past 15 months, we've put our heart and souls into this investigation; Milpitas is an exceptionally safe city we don't experience a lot of violent crime, certainly not murder," Pangelinan said. "So we put every resource we could into this investigation and also asked for resources from our neighboring agencies and anyone that needed to."

Following Sadeghzadeh's death, a candlelight vigil drew up to 150 people to the store where many called for an end to violence in the community.

In October, Milpitas Police Department offered a $20,000 reward for information leading to the arrest and conviction of three suspects involved in the murder.

Since the slaying, Dallas-based 7-Eleven Inc. also offered a $10,000 reward to anyone with information leading to the arrest and conviction of the suspects involved in the fatal shooting.

Police did not say if a reward will be given to anyone, nor would they say if a tip led to the suspects' arrests.

At the press conference, next to a large flower arrangement provided by the family, a large color photo showed Sadeghzadeh wearing a blue Polo shirt and cap as well as a gold-colored chain and pendant. Pangelinan said the pendant is being sought by police. 

"That pendant is missing," Pangelinan said, adding the victim always wore it. "He wore it all the time; at the crime scene it was not there."

Anyone with information about the case is asked to call Milpitas Police Department at (408) 586-2400. Information can also be given anonymously by calling (408) 586-2500 or online at ci.milpitas.ca.gov/government/police/crime_tip.asp.

Contact Ian Bauer at ibauer@themilpitaspost.com or 408-262-2454. Visit us on our social media sites at facebook.com/milpitaspost and twitter.com/milpitaspost.