SAN FRANCISCO -- Forced into some hard choices, the A's trimmed three familiar faces from their roster Friday, including two pitchers who were instrumental to their American League West title run in 2012.

Oakland designated left-handed pitcher Travis Blackley and first baseman Daric Barton for assignment and optioned left-handed bullpen mainstay Jordan Norberto before Friday night's Bay Bridge game against the Giants.

For Blackley and Barton, it could be the end of their A's run. They were removed from the 40-man roster to make room for two waiver claims, pitchers Daniel Otero and Josh Stinson, and must be traded, released or accept a minor league assignment after 10 days.

"With the kind of depth we have, we're going to have make some tough moves here," said manager Bob Melvin.

More will be coming. The A's still have 32 players on their active roster. Three pitchers -- Pedro Figueroa, Mike Ekstrom and Evan Scribner -- are the finalists for the last bullpen spot. There will be at least one cut on the infield as well as the A's weigh the merits of utility man Andy Parrino and first baseman Nate Frieman.

Barton and Norberto left AT&T Park without commenting. Blackley lamented his fate after a nightmarish spring in which he posted a 14.21 ERA and allowed 27 hits in 122/3 innings. Opponents hit .450 against him.

"I kind of saw it coming, just from previous experiences," said Blackley, 6-4 with a 3.86 ERA in 24 games last season including 15 starts. "You've got to be making a lot of money to get away with the spring I had and still make the team."

Melvin said Blackley and Barton would be welcomed back into the organization if they clear waivers and elect to accept an assignment to Triple-A. Blackley said he would prefer to pitch for a team in the big leagues but will consider his options.

The 27-year-old Barton, the longest-tenured player in the A's organization after being acquired in 2004 from St. Louis, was hitting .206 in spring training, two points above what he hit in 46 games for the A's last season.

As for Norberto, the manager said the left-hander shouldn't be discouraged despite being a stalwart fixture in middle relief (4-1, 2.77 ERA in 39 appearances) before a shoulder injury derailed his season in mid-August.

"It doesn't mean Norberto won't be as significant a contributor as he was last year," Melvin said. "But at this point, he hasn't given us the length we need, and we've been careful based on his injury last year."

  • The two right-handed relievers the A's claimed Friday will be headed to the minor leagues. Otero, 28, pitched in 12 games for the Giants last season, compiling a 5.84 ERA, and was with them this spring training until being designated and claimed by the New York Yankees. He wasn't with the Yankees a week and was once again placed on waivers.

    Stinson, 25, had a 0.96 ERA last year for the Brewers in six appearances. He also made 14 appearances for the New York Mets in 2011, going 0-2 with a 6.92 ERA.

  • Melvin said shortstop Hiroyuki Nakajima (hamstring strain) probably would be placed on the 15-day day disabled list to start the season.

    "We'll know for sure on Sunday," the manager said. "But it's very likely he'll be on the D.L."

  • Outfielder Yoenis Cespedes, who had hoped to have 12 family members who recently arrived in the U.S. at Monday's opening night, said that plan has changed. Because the opening homestand is only a four-game series, Cespedes said he prefers that his family come to Oakland for a longer homestand later in April.