MARTINEZ -- A longtime Bay Area baseball coach pleaded not guilty Tuesday to child molestation charges, including two new felony counts that allege a third victim was abused in the late 1980s.

After news of Orinda resident Joel Kaufman's arrest last month, a man told police that Kaufman had molested him as a child from 1988 through 1990, deputy district attorney Chad Mahalich said. More victims could be added to the criminal complaint later, Mahalich said, as investigators continue to follow numerous leads.

"We are investigating new information that's come forward, including new people that have made allegations -- more than one," Mahalich said.

Orinda resident Joel Kaufman, 52, is a head coach for the California Smoke Baseball Club based in San Jose and the owner of the Triple Play U.S.A batting
Orinda resident Joel Kaufman, 52, is a head coach for the California Smoke Baseball Club based in San Jose and the owner of the Triple Play U.S.A batting cages in San Leandro. Kaufman has been charged with sexually abusing one teen boy, and secretly recording another in a state of undress in a bathroom. (Contra Costa Sheriff's Office)

Kaufman, 52, is the owner of Triple Play U.S.A. batting cages in San Leandro and has been a coach for youth baseball teams throughout the Bay Area for decades. With previous stints at Bishop O'Dowd High School in Oakland and Palo Alto High School, he was most recently head coach of the California Smoke, a premier 18-and-under traveling team based in San Jose.

The Contra Costa District Attorney's Office charged Kaufman in March with six felonies and three misdemeanors alleging he molested one boy and secretly filmed another in a bathroom sometime between 2005 and 2012.

On Tuesday, Kaufman was charged with two additional counts of lewd and lascivious acts with a child under age 14 and a charge enhancement alleging multiple victims.


Advertisement

Kaufman's attorney, Michael Markowitz, declined to comment on the charges as he received his first collection of discovery from the prosecution at Tuesday's hearing.

An arraignment judge denied the prosecutor's request to raise Kaufman's bail, which he posted last month, from $325,000 to $1.525 million.

"I think he's a continuing danger to the community and that bail at the very least should be set at schedule," Mahalich said.

Judge William Kolin kept Kaufman's bail as is but ordered Kaufman to electronic home arrest, Markowitz said. The judge also issued a criminal protective order that bars Kaufman from contacting any potential victims.

Kaufman returns to court May 23 to schedule a preliminary hearing.

Orinda police ask anyone with information pertaining to the case to call Sgt. Neil Rafanan or Detective Travis Dennison at 925-254-6820.

Contact Malaika Fraley at 925-234-1684. Follow her at Twitter.com/malaikafraley.