SAN JOSE -- Thirteen guests and staff members were sickened Sunday by fumes from an unknown chemical on the 18th floor of the Hilton Hotel, but ultimately no one was hospitalized, a fire official said.

The people complained of minor irritation to their throats and eyes at the hotel on Almaden Boulevard, though none of them wanted to be taken for further medical treatment, said San Jose fire Capt. Rob Brown. Air quality tests didn't turn up anything that would have caused the complaints and by about 12:30 p.m. restrictions on movement to and from the 18th floor were lifted.

A crew went to the hotel about 10:50 a.m. after someone reported feeling sick. After realizing other guests and staff also were complaining of eye and throat irritation, authorities brought in the hazardous materials team.

While crews investigated the smell, which was concentrated in a hallway near the elevators, no one was allowed to go up to the 18th floor. Guests on that floor were told to stay in their rooms but were not evacuated, Brown said. It appeared whatever caused the irritation dissipated on its own.

"The Hilton is still open for business," he said.

A message left Sunday for the Hilton's manager was not immediately returned.

Contact Joshua Melvin at 650-348-4335. Follow him at Twitter.com/melvinreport.



Advertisement