HAYWARD -- An 81-year-old woman was in critical condition at a burn center Friday morning after she was found in her bedroom during a single-alarm fire Thursday night.
No one else was injured. The woman was first taken to Eden Hospital, then later transported to the St. Francis Burn Center in San Francisco, according to Hayward Fire Department spokesman LaShon Earnest.
Earnest said the woman, who was a heavy smoker, suffered second and third degree burns to her arms, hands and face after her clothes caught fire when she fell asleep with a cigarette that was not properly put out.
She also suffered severe burning in her airway, according to Hayward firefighters.
Firefighters were called to the second-floor apartment on the 22800 block of Second Street around 9:14, p.m. Earnest said. They arrived within three minutes and were alerted by neighbors that there was likely a person trapped inside the unit, but the smoke and fire prevented the neighbors from rescuing her.
The firefighters found the woman suffering from burns in a back bedroom, Earnest said, where she had retreated after she could not put the fire out on her clothes. The fire was knocked down in less than 10 minutes.