SAN FRANCISCO -- Police say they are continuing to investigate a sexual assault allegation against San Francisco 49ers wide receiver Michael Crabtree, despite a published report saying that witnesses have backed Crabtree's version of events.

The San Francisco Chronicle reported Wednesday that a law enforcement source said that two other women had joined Crabtree, 25, and another woman at a party in a room at the W Hotel in downtown San Francisco. The two women disputed the third woman's allegation that Crabtree had sexually assaulted her, the Chronicle reported.

A spokeswoman for the San Francisco Police Department said Wednesday morning that detectives were still working the case, which was announced Friday evening, after the team had left for the NFC Championship Game in Atlanta. She also declined to comment on the Chronicle report.

An official at the W Hotel declined to comment on the allegation when contacted by Bay Area News Group on Saturday. Several employees at the hotel said they were not aware of members of the 49ers partying at the hotel in the early-morning hours of Jan. 13, when the alleged incident happened.

Police confirmed last week that Crabtree and his lawyers had submitted to an interview with investigators, and promised to be available for further questioning if necessary. Crabtree's lawyer issued a statement Saturday saying that his client was "(confident) in the process" and would not comment further while the investigation was active.

Contact Daniel M. Jimenez at djimenez@bayareanewsgroup.com. Follow him at Twitter.com/DMJreports.