OAKLAND -- A 19-year-old Oakland man accused of being in a gunbattle that resulted in one death and serious injury to several revelers leaving a popular Uptown street festival last week will not be charged with murder, the Alameda County District Attorney's Office announced Tuesday.
Donald Everett Parks Jr., however, still faces a lengthy prison term for allegedly unloading a semi-automatic handgun into a crowd resulting in the injuries of several people. The gunbattle also resulted in the death of 18-year-old Kiante Tay Campbell just after last week's First Friday street festival.
District Attorney Nancy O'Malley said in a statement late Tuesday that her office charged him with the crimes that it believes can be proven against Parks based on the evidence collected so far in the case.
"The charges filed by my office today represent the crimes that we believe we can prove beyond a reasonable doubt based upon the evidence that is currently available," O'Malley's statement read. "We will continue to work with the Oakland Police Department to develop the case against the individual responsible for the homicide that took place."
Law enforcement sources said that they believe more than one gun was fired at the scene.
Instead of murder, Parks, who is being held in jail on $1.2 million bail, faces six counts of assault with a semi-automatic firearm, one count of carrying a concealed firearm and one count of carrying a loaded firearm in a city. He faces a maximum prison term of about 50 years.
The shooting occurred as revelers were leaving First Friday, a popular street festival that occurs the first Friday of every month in the quickly developing Uptown neighborhood.
The festival is an offshoot of Art Murmur, a gallery walk that was launched seven years ago and happens on the same night as First Friday. The success of both festivals has attracted thousands to the burgeoning Uptown neighborhood and gives local bars and restaurants a steady stream of patrons.
Parks is accused of shooting at a group of revelers at about 10:50 p.m. after a confrontation broke out in the parking lot of a beauty supply business on Telegraph Avenue between 20th and 21st streets. The street festival officially ended at 10 p.m.
In addition to Campbell being shot, three other people were wounded during the shooting, including a friend of Campbell's and two women not involved with the fight who were hit by stray bullets.
Oakland police Officer Jason Andersen said in court documents that Parks admitted to the shooting during a videotaped interrogation. In addition to his admission, Parks was allegedly seen firing a gun in a security video.
The gunfire shook a city that has struggled with rising rates of violent crime and caused many to worry whether First Friday would be able to continue.
In a statement released a day after the event, Oakland Mayor Jean Quan said that the city will work with festival organizers in an effort to boost security at the event.