HAYWARD -- A 77-year-old woman who was hospitalized after an electrical fire in her home has died, according to the Alameda County Coroner's Office.
Five of the woman's 10 cats also died in the fire, said Hayward assistant fire marshal Thor Poulsen.
Lorraine Carvalho was found face down in the living room area in a pile of newspapers, animal feces and rubble, Poulsen said. She had second-degree burns to the back of her legs and arms and was taken to Eden Medical Center in Castro Valley, where she died Sunday afternoon, authorities said.
Fire crews responded to the home at 3880 Arbutus Court after neighbors reported seeing smoke coming from her house.
Before firefighters arrived, a man tried to kick in the front door to get to the woman, but he couldn't get through because of newspapers and other debris piled high behind the door, Poulsen said.
"(Firefighters were) hampered due to excess hoarding," Poulsen said.
Fire crews removed the front door to get inside, he said.
Five cats died in the one-alarm fire, and five more were found alive outside the home. Alameda County animal control crews were unable to trap the cats Sunday and Monday but will keep trying, Poulsen said.
A preliminary investigation determined an electrical fire broke out in the living room near an unused fireplace about 15 feet from where Carvalho was found, Poulsen said.