OAKLAND -- Students were evacuated from the sports complex at Castlemont High School on Tuesday evening after a gas leak was reported at a nearby home, fire officials said.

A large tank of compressed gas at a home in the 2300 block of 85th Avenue began expelling gas into the sports complex shortly before 7 p.m., the Oakland Fire Department reported via Twitter.

The department evacuated students from the school grounds and some surrounding residences as fire officials and PG&E crews investigated the leak.

PG&E determined that the leak was not from PG&E equipment and was instead coming from the propane tank. However, the utility still shut down gas service for 10 customers in the area as a precaution, according to PG&E spokeswoman Jana Morris.

Firefighters remained at the scene late Tuesday and some residents continued to be evacuated, fire officials said.

In addition to fire personnel, hazardous materials units were dispatched to help stop the leak. It is unknown when or how the leak started, but no injuries were reported.

The leak was controlled by 10:45 p.m.

Contact Katie Nelson at 925-945-4780 or follow her at Twitter.com/katienelson210. Bay City News Service contributed to this report.



Advertisement