An El Cerrito man suspected of taking part in a $1 million heist of historic gold from the Siskiyou County Courthouse last year has surrendered, according to the Siskiyou County Sheriff's Office.
David Dean Johnson, 49, surrendered to police on Monday and is being held in lieu of $1 million bail, the agency said in a news release.
A second man suspected in the theft, 51-year-old Scott Wayne Bailey of El Sobrante, remains on the loose, according to Siskiyou officials.
Detectives searched the addresses of the two men in El Cerrito and El Sobrante last week. Both Johnson and Bailey were wanted on $1 million warrant after being identified from courthouse surveillance video, officials said.
"We are glad that Mr. Johnson chose to surrender, and we are hopeful that with one of the primary suspect's in custody that we can develop additional information that will help us bring this major crime to a successful conclusion," Siskiyou County Sheriff Jon Lopey said. "Although we still have a lot of work to do in this case, Mr. Johnson's arrest is a welcome development."
A $50,000 reward is being offered for the identification, arrest and conviction of the suspects. Anyone with information is urged to contact Det. Yves Pike at 530-842-8354 or the county's 24-hour dispatch number at 530-841-2900.