HAYWARD -- One woman was hospitalized early Wednesday after an apartment kitchen fire, a Hayward Fire Department spokesman said.

Fire crews responded to 22236 Western Blvd. at 2:54 a.m. and found the bottom level of a two-story apartment unit in flames and a woman on the ground in front of it, spokesman LaShon Earnest said. She was taken by ambulance to Eden Medical Center with smoke inhalation injuries, Earnest said.

Approximately 10-15 people were outside the apartment yelling when firefighters arrived, but crews could not confirm reports from some witnesses that the woman may have jumped from the second floor of the apartment, Earnest said.

The fire was contained to the kitchen, as crews knocked it down by 3:10 a.m., Earnest said.

More than one person was displaced from the apartment, though the total number who lived there was not available, Earnest said. No estimates on the monetary damage to the house was available, he said.

Contact Rick Hurd at 925-945-4789 and follow him at Twitter.com/3rdERH. Follow Erin Ivie at Twitter.com/Erin_Ivie



Advertisement