HAYWARD -- A candle left burning in a bedroom sparked a house fire in the city that caused nearly $60,000 in damage and displaced a family of five, a fire official said Tuesday.
A man and woman, at home when the blaze broke out, escaped safely through a bedroom window and no injuries were reported.
Firefighters responded to a home at 24624 O'Neil Ave. about 10:10 a.m., when a resident dialed 911 after hearing popping noises and seeing black smoke, said Hayward fire spokesman LaShon Earnest.
When firefighters arrived they found flames and smoke coming from a front bedroom of the single-story home.
Fire crews had the one-alarm blaze under control by 10:20 a.m., Earnest said.
Earnest said the woman that called in the report and another man in the home escaped safely by jumping out a bedroom window.
The man and the woman lived in the home with three other family members -- two adults and one child -- who were not home when the blaze broke out.
A preliminary investigation revealed someone lit a candle in a front bedroom late Monday night, but forgot to blow it out and it sparked the fire Tuesday morning.
The blaze, deemed accidental, caused about $60,000 in damage to the bedroom and displaced the family of five. They are being assisted by the American Red Cross.
Contact Natalie Neysa Alund at 510-293-2469. Follow her at Twitter.com/nataliealund.