HAYWARD -- A kitchen fire sparked when a woman left pork chops on the stove to check on her grandchild caused $100,000 in damage Thursday afternoon, authorities said.

Fire crews were dispatched at about 12:15 p.m. to the two-story home in the 30000 block of Willowbrook Road, near the Mission Hills Golf Course, said fire spokesman Thor Poulsen.

The grandmother returned to the kitchen to find flames shooting from the stove, grabbed her grandchild and ran safely from the home, Poulsen said.

Fire crews were able to control the blaze and rescued a dog and two cats. A third cat has yet to be located but was believed to be safe and locked in the laundry room on the first floor of the home, Poulsen said.

The fire, which destroyed the kitchen and caused $100,000 in damage, was determined to be accidental, said Poulsen. The home is valued at $700,000, he said. The family has been displaced but said they will stay with extended family until they are able to move back in, according to the fire department. No injuries reported.

Natalie Neysa Alund covers breaking news. Contact her at nalund@bayareanewsgroup.com.



Advertisement