Contra Costa Times

PLEASANTON -- A dry-cleaning business at a strip mall caught fire Wednesday, but a sprinkler system inside the building kept the blaze from spreading and causing even more damage to the surrounding stores, a battalion chief said.

One person was hospitalized after suffering smoke inhalation in the fire at Hacienda Cleaners at 5682 Stoneridge Drive, Livermore-Pleasanton Fire Battalion Chief Jack Neiman-Kimel said. The blaze began around 5:47 p.m.

Fire crews saw heavy smoke coming from the business when they arrived, but the fire sprinklers inside the store were activated after clothes on the conveyor system caught fire, Neiman-Kimel said. Those sprinklers kept the fire at bay until crews were able to get inside and extinguish it, Neiman-Kimel said.

Several businesses on both sides of Hacienda Cleaners were damaged by smoke and water, Neiman-Kimel said. Officials did not provide an estimate of the monetary damages to the businesses.

It was not known immediately when the business might open again.

Contact Rick Hurd at 925-945-4789 and follow him at Twitter.com/3rdERH.