PINOLE -- Firefighters battled a chimney fire and explosion late Sunday night at a home in Pinole, according to a fire battalion chief.

At about 10:15 p.m. on Sunday, fire officials responded to a residence in the 3700 block of Pinole Valley Road on a report of a chimney fire, according to Pinole fire Battalion Chief Brian Lowry.

All occupants were out of the home prior to firefighters arriving at the scene and no injuries were reported, according to Lowry.

Upon arrival, firefighters found flames coming from the chimney of a single-family home and smoke coming from the second floor, according to Lowry.

A smoke explosion occurred in the building's concealed spaces that not only blew out second-story windows but also blew out a rear wall almost 2 feet, causing major structural damage, Lowry said.

Firefighters extinguished the blaze and determined that a wood stove was the cause the fire.

Lowry said the residents were alerted to the fire when they discovered smoke coming from an electrical outlet on the second floor. The residents then called 911 for assistance.

The cause, origin and nature of the smoke explosion remains under investigation, Lowry said.

According to Lowry, the fire caused an estimated $25,000 in damage.

The Pinole Fire Department is urging residents to have their chimneys or wood stoves inspected and cleaned annually by a certified chimney specialist.



Advertisement