Some Richmond residents were told to stay indoors after a construction crew struck a PG&E gas main, causing a leak Friday morning, according to the Richmond Fire Department.

The incident occurred in the 100 block of Harbour Way South near Ohio Avenue and impacted residents living within one block of the construction site, said Fire Chief Michael Banks.

Police knocked on doors to notify homeowners, and students at nearby Lincoln Elementary School were kept inside for the duration of the incident. The leak was expected to be contained by 1 p.m., according to Banks.

Contact Karina Ioffee at kioffee@bayareanewsgroup.com. Follow her at Twitter.com/kioffee.