RICHMOND -- A resident cooking french fries sparked a fire at a Richmond apartment complex that sent an 8-year-old boy to the hospital and displaced nine residents, a fire official said.

The resident was making the snack at around 2:50 a.m. Tuesday on the 700 block of Seventh Street, when it caught fire, said Richmond Fire Department Battalion Chief Merlin Turner.

The single-alarm blaze injured two -- one male who hurt his hand escaping through a first-floor window, and an 8-year-old boy in an adjacent apartment who suffered smoke inhalation and was taken to a Richmond hospital, Turner said.

Firefighters put the fire out within 20 minutes. The fire heavily damaged the apartment's kitchen and caused smoke damage, Turner said.

Nine residents living in the three-bedroom apartment were displaced.

David DeBolt covers breaking news. Contact him in Richmond at 510-262-2728. Follow him at Twitter.com/daviddebolt.



Advertisement