An injury to Santa Cruz's Luke Rockhold, as well as other fighters, has led Strikeforce to cancel its Nov. 3 mixed martial arts event in Oklahoma City, the promotion announced Friday.
Rockhold (10-1), the Strikeforce middleweight champion, was scheduled to fight Lorenz Larkin (13-0) in a co-main event title bout at the Chesapeake Energy Arena in Oklahoma City. But earlier this week, it was reported by TheMMACorner.com that Rockhold suffered a wrist injury and was forced to withdraw.
Neither Rockhold nor Strikeforce confirmed the news until Friday. The promotion also announced plans for an event in January.
"Due to a series of injuries, we were forced to cancel the upcoming card on Nov. 3, but are already working to put together a stacked card in January," Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker said in a statement.
Said Rockhold via his Twitter account (@rockholdMMA): "So "2/3@Strikeforce nov 3rd cancelation finally announced sorry bout that one guys! I should b healthy and ready to go for Jan."
Prior to Rockhold's injury, the promotion had been looking for a replacement in its main event after Frank Mir withdrew because of injury. Mir was scheduled to fight Daniel Cormier.
Sarah McMann also pulled out of her fight with Liz Carmouche earlier this week, leaving several holes to fill in an event that was less than a month away.
It's the second straight cancellation by Strikeforce, which
Harbor High alum Quinn Mulhern was scheduled to fight Jorge Santiago in that event. Mulhern's fight has not yet been rescheduled.