A month after Fresh & Easy claimed it would still build a grocery store on Del Monte Avenue in Monterey, its parent company announced Wednesday it is likely pulling out of the United States.

The British-owned chain had already halted construction on the site in August.

Tesco PLC said in a news release it will conduct a strategic review of its American brand.

"It is now clear that Fresh & Easy will not deliver acceptable shareholder returns on an appropriate timeframe in its current form," the news release said.

Monterey officials have received at least two inquiries about the property, Public Works Director Hans Uslar said last month.

Fresh & Easy spokesman Brendan Wonnacott told The Herald at the time it still planned on building and looked forward to "resuming construction at the appropriate time."

The 10,700-square-foot property was previously the site of the Del Monte Gardens roller rink.

Tesco said Wednesday it had received interest from companies interested in partial or full ownership of the brand.

It also announced that the CEO of Fresh & Easy, Tim Mason, was leaving the company.

Phillip Molnar can be reached at 646-4487 or pmolnar@montereyherald.com.