A Sylmar man who turned himself in last week as a suspect in attacks on two women was formally charged Tuesday with attempted rape, kidnapping and other counts.
Kevion R. Hunt, 20, turned himself in Friday morning, the day after Los Angeles police released a sketch of the attacker. He told authorities he works as a custodian.
The Dec. 9 attacks happened in an apartment complex at 12960 Dronfield Ave., a short walk from Hunt's home.
About 2:40 a.m., a man walked up to a woman pushing a baby stroller and started to make conversation, police said. He then reached under her dress and groped her, but ran away after the woman screamed.
An hour later, he walked up to another woman walking to her apartment in the same complex. He grabbed the woman, dragged her about 60 feet to a poorly lit area, then started to take off her clothes.
When the woman started screaming, two people came to her aid, and the attacker ran away again. There were no more attacks after Dec. 9.
After the LAPD released a sketch of the assailant, who wore distinctive large gauges in both ears, witnesses told police a similar-looking man lived in an apartment complex on Beaver Street nearby. As detectives were preparing to get a warrant for Hunt, he walked into the San Fernando police station with his mother and turned himself in, police said.
The District Attorney's Office said Hunt was charged with seven felony counts, including assault, attempted