A Salinas man was convicted Wednesday of first-degree murder, attempted murder and street terrorism after a jury trial.
Juan Paul Pulido, 23, will be sentenced on the charges on Feb. 19 by Judge Mark Hood.
The convictions stem from a Nov. 2, 2008, shooting on Lewis Circle in Salinas, when Pulido and his cousin, Jorge Alejandro Fernandez, of Winton, walked up to the home of Jose Alonzo, 22, and gunned him down as he answered the door.
According to court testimony, Pulido fired four shots while hiding behind a porch pillar, hitting Alonzo twice. Fernandez was handed the gun and shot twice at Alonzo's mother when she came to the door, but missed.
District Attorney Dean Flippo said in a prepared statement the two ran to a waiting car that sped away. The car's driver was contacted by police, Flippo said, which led to Pulido and Fernandez as suspects.
They were identified as the gunmen by witnesses.
Fernandez, then 17, was arraigned as an adult. He agreed to testify against Pulido, Flippo said, but will still receive a life sentence.
Investigators believe the shootings were carried out by the two Norteño gang members in retaliation for the shooting of a Norteño earlier in 2008.
The trial began before Hood on Nov. 26 and jury deliberation began Tuesday and concluded early Wednesday.
Case investigators included Salinas Police Detective James Arensdorf and District Attorney Investigator John Coletti, Flippo said.
Flippo said Pulido faces 79 years to life in prison. Pulido was also convicted of an assault he committed in County Jail, and the jury found in favor of sentencing enhancements of personal use of a firearm in a crime and gang activity.
Kevin Howe can be reached at 646-4416 or firstname.lastname@example.org