CLAREMONT -- The former Rich Products Corp. industrial building will be demolished and replaced two multi-story buildings with retail and live/work spaces and residential apartments.
The architectural and site plan review was approved on earlier this month for the proposed mixed use development at the former Rich site at 127 Oberlin Ave.
Applicant Denley Investments and Management Co. officials were given the approval by the Architectural Commission.
"I'm very happy with the outcome," said Denley architect Gregory Christman after the meeting.
The development of the 1.67-acre parcel, in the Claremont Village Expansion Specific Plan Area, would have the main building including a two-story parking structure occupy most of the site.
Officials said the smaller live/work building will be in the northeast corner of the site and have a rooftop pool, laundry room and gym connected to the main building by a third-floor pedestrian bridge.
The project has 181 on-site parking spaces for the main building.
The main building, with four floors, also has 64 residential apartment units. A small loft building will have 10 on-site parking spaces and 10 loft units.
"I do think this project is well-timed in the sense of the (continuing Claremont) Village expansion," said commission Chair James Sink.
"It's one of the largest developments we've had in the city.
Commissioner Maureen Wheeler, who asked numerous questions about the project's balcony, windows, handicap accessibility, building corners and more, voted against the development because of what she said was the poor quality of life issues in the apartments and no outdoor living areas.
Christman said a ground-breaking for the development is tentatively scheduled for late spring.
He declined to give information on how much the development would cost because there had been no preliminary bids to get the process started.
Resident Erik Griswold spoke out against the project because he had heard the land was to be used for a park and felt the more than 50-foot-high project was too tall. He said he was thinking of possibly appealing the decision.
Claremont building official Jeff Baughman said on Wednesday there has been no official appeal of the decision.
Baughman said the next step for the project was for the developers to submit a plan check to the building department.
"They have to submit plans within two years (of the Architectural Commission decision) for their approval," Baughman said.