An attempt to light an early- morning barbecue Monday erupted in a flash explosion, injuring a man with second- degree facial burns and sparking a fire at his home, fire officials said.
Long Beach Fire Department crews were called to a home in the 400 block of East 63rd Street about 6:20 a.m., when the explosion burned the person lighting the barbecue and ignited the rear portion of the home, said Fire Department spokesman Will Nash.
The fire was quickly knocked down, Nash said. The burn victim declined hospitalization, he said.
"He signed a waiver known as `Against Medical Advice,' after the paramedics had suggested that he go to the hospital," Nash said. "He chose not to go."
- Joe Segura