UPDATED: TORRANCE - A man convicted in the killings of two people inside an Inglewood insurance office more than five years ago was sentenced to death Friday, with a judge calling him a "monster."
Osman Canales, 31, was convicted last year of two counts of first-degree murder for the Sept. 26, 2007, slayings of Lorena Rodriguez, 48, of Hawthorne, and Joel Cruz Perez, 51, of Los Angeles.
Jurors also found Canales guilty of three counts of robbery and one count each of kidnapping to commit another crime, dissuading a witness, burglary, unlawful taking of an automobile and misdemeanor sexual battery by restraint involving a third person who was released.
Jurors also found true the special circumstance allegations of multiple murders, murder during a robbery and burglary and murder during the kidnapping of Rodriguez, who was taken to a bank and ordered to empty her account, according to Deputy District Attorney Greta Walker.
Rodriguez was then brought back to the business, at 415 W. Manchester Blvd., where she and Perez both had their throats slit with a kitchen knife, the deputy district attorney said.
Torrance Superior Court Judge Steven Van Sicklen lashed out at Canales during the hearing, saying he showed no sign of remorse or compassion for the victims or their families during his trial.
"Animals kill to survive, to eat and to protect themselves," the judge said. "To call you an animal would be an insult to the animal kingdom. The only word that comes to mind when I think of you is the word monster."
Authorities believe the crimes may have been motivated by Canales being upset over a business transaction with Rodriguez, who rented space in the office for her real estate business, according to the prosecutor.
Co-defendant Julius Laulu, 29, was also convicted of the murders. The District Attorney's Office opted not to seek the death penalty against Laulu, who was sentenced Dec. 18 to two life prison terms without the possibility of parole plus 74 years and four months to life.
A third defendant, Juan Pablo Maldonado, 22, is set to be sentenced Jan. 16 following his plea to lesser charges, including involuntary manslaughter. He is facing 26 years in prison, according to the prosecutor.
Van Sicklen noted during today's hearing that Maldonado was forced by Canales -- his stepfather -- to take part in the crime, and now he is facing years behind bars.
"You are the among the worst of the worst," he told Canales.