NORWALK — Trial was postponed yet again Tuesday for a 61-year-old Bellflower woman charged with killing her elderly father and burying him in their backyard.
Jury selection was scheduled to begin at the Norwalk Superior Court Tuesday in the trial of Linda Sue Copeland, but the proceedings were halted as her case was transferred to the downtown Los Angeles Superior Court, court staff members said.
Copeland's case was transferred to accommodate her recent need for a wheelchair, they said.
She has been in custody with the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department since her arrest more than four years ago, after her father's body was found buried beneath some debris in the backyard of the home the pair shared in the 9800 block of Potter Street in Bellflower.
Authorities allege Copeland killed her 90-year-old father, Ralph Stofleth, sometime between Feb. 1 and Feb. 8 of 2008. The body of the World War II veteran was discovered after Los Angeles County Sheriff's deputies went to the home after a neighbor reported not seeing the man for more than a month.
Questions of Copeland's mental competency were raised early on in the case, causing several delays. She was eventually found fit to stand trial in November 2011.
Potential trial dates have been set several times since then, but all have been met with delays.
She is scheduled to appear in Dept. 100 at the Clara Shortridge Foltz Criminal Justice Center in Los Angeles on Feb. 19.
If Copeland is convicted on all counts, she faces the possibility of life in prison, prosecutors said.