BOULDER CREEK

House fire displaces two

A man and his daughter escaped a fire that started near their home's chimney Tuesday morning.

The daughter was in the shower and the man was elsewhere in the home near Highway 9 and Pool Drive when the fire broke out about 7 a.m., Boulder Creek Fire Chief Kevin McClish said.

Firefighters arrived and found smoke coming from a wall near the chimney. They doused the blaze and cut through parts of the home to make sure the fire did not spread, firefighters said.

No one was injured.

Authorities declared the single-story house uninhabitable. American Red Cross representatives arrived to help the pair find a place to say.

McClish said the residents had a fire in the rock fireplace Monday night. The fire apparently spread to deteriorated mortar in the chimney and sparked the blaze, authorities said.

Firefighters advised residents to have their older chimneys inspected for safety.

Ben Lomond firefighters also responded to the call.





Advertisement