SANTA CRUZ - An early morning fire on Button Street was caused by smoking materials discarded in a wastebasket in a bedroom, firefighters said.
Santa Cruz County sheriff's deputies arrived at 200 Button Street just after midnight Thursday to find a partially extinguished fire in a bedroom and all occupants were outside.
Crews from the Santa Cruz Fire Department arrived and put the fire out completely, removed the smoke and overhauled the area, Battalion Chief Rob Young said in a release.
The fire was determined to have been caused by smoking materials discarded with flammable materials. The apartment's occupant awoke to the fire. There wasn't a working smoke detector inside.
Young estimated the blaze caused about $1,000 in damages.