Our Oscar Power Rankings for best actor:
1) Daniel Day-Lewis ("Lincoln")
2) Hugh Jackman ("Les Miserables")
3) Bradley Cooper ("Silver Linings Playbook")
4) John Hawkes ("The Sessions")
5) Denzel Washington ("Flight")
Darkhorse: Joaquin Phoenix ("The Master")
This field appears to be set and to say Day-Lewis is the front-runner would be putting it mildly. If he doesn't win for his portrayal of the title character in "Lincoln," it will be a shocker. The one possible surprise could be Phoenix who was very, very good in "The Master" but burned a lot of bridges with comments about the Oscars meaning nothing. The Academy voters don't like that kind of talk.