NORWALK — A 55-year-old homeless man who was set on fire when he was sleep in his sleeping bag last week remains in serious condition, officials said Monday.

He was doused with an unknown liquid and set on fire about 12:45 a.m. Wednesday outside a donut shop at 12852 Pioneer Blvd., Capt. Patrick Maxwell of the Norwalk Sheriff's Station said.

A passerby heard the man's screams and called the fire department, Maxwell said. He remains in serious condition at an area burn unit, Maxwell said.

The man has slept at the same location for several years and is a familiar face in the community, the sheriff's captain said. The sheriff's department and the city have offered him help and resources, but he has declined, Maxwell said.

The donut shop is across the street from the Norwalk-La Mirada Unified School District headquarters.

phillip.zonkel@presstelegram.com, 562-499-1258, twitter.com/zonklept