Some of its recommendations to governments:
- Support research on the health and environmental consequences of excess nitrogen.
- Create policies for using fertilizer far more efficiently, as most of it is wasted.
- Support research for reducing nitrogen levels released during combustion of fossil fuels.
Simple steps to reduce your own "nitrogen footprint":
- Drive slower higher speeds increase nitrogen emissions.
- Drive a fuel-efficient car.
- Eat less meat and animal products, as animal waste is a major contributor to nitrogen pollution.
Source: MediaNews Group research