And authorities say the arrest could be a solid step toward finding the suspects behind the take-over robberies of eight restaurants in Oakland, Berkeley and Emeryville and San Leandro since March 31.
Authorities said suspect Tanom Domingue, who will be prosecuted as an adult, will be arraigned Wednesday afternoon on five counts of robbery with a firearm and five counts of false imprisonment in connection with the April 13 robbery of Milano Ristorante.
Those charges stem from robbing five people and holding an additional five captive in the restaurant.
Domingue, who has a lengthy juvenile record was arrested last Friday by Oakland police on an outstanding warrant. Authorities said the boy, who will turn 17 in July, has a prior conviction for his part in a Vallejo robbery where a person was shot. It was not immediately known when that robbery happened.
Authorities on Tuesday said they have ``active leads'' on some other possible suspects but so far no one else has been charged in connection with the series of East Bay robberies.
Police have said the take-over robberies have been committed by ``kids'' as young as 15 to 18 looking for easy money and a quick adrenaline rush. No one has been seriously injured in the robberies, but restaurant patrons had guns held to their heads.
Police have said the suspects tend to get more violent when their orders are not complied with.
The first six takeover robberies were in Oakland and one in Berkeley but last week Furenzu in Emeryville was targeted as was a Denny's in San Leandro.
In many of the Oakland robberies, the suspects have made off with about $1,000 or more, often emptying the pockets and wallets of stunned diners.
Police and Crime Stoppers of Oakland are offering up to $7,500 in each of the Oakland robberies for information leading to the arrest of the suspects. Anyone with information can call police at 238-3326 or Crime Stoppers at 777-8572 or 777-3211.