SAN JOSE -- Family members of three men slain by a co-worker at a Cupertino quarry in 2011 are seeking unspecified wrongful death damages from the cement company, court records show.
Two cases were filed in October in Santa Clara County Superior Court on behalf of 13 relatives of victims in the attack by Shareef Allman, 47, who opened fire on fellow employees in a trailer at the Lehigh Southwest Cement Co. quarry on Oct. 5, 2011. Allman killed himself the next day, when sheriff's deputies found him, armed and acting belligerent, and opened fire.
Slain in the attack were Mark Munoz, Manuel Pinon and John Vallejos. Six others were wounded.
Family members told an NBC television crew on Wednesday that the company's human relations department had been warned about Allman, with employees calling him unstable, and saying he'd made death threats and was known to keep a gun in his car.
"I do feel it was preventable if management had taken the correct action that should have been taken," Pinon's daughter Salina, who is named in the suit, told the station. "We miss him every day.
Neither family members nor attorneys representing them could be reached Wednesday evening.
The company lawyer deferred to Lehigh representatives, who issued a statement.
"The company intends to vigorously defend itself against the allegations in these complaints. As a matter of policy, we cannot provide further comment on active litigation."
Contact Eric Kurhi at 408-920-5852. Follow him at Twitter.com/erickurhi.