SAN JOSE -- Police on Tuesday identified both the victim and suspect in the slaying death of a man who was shot near downtown early Sunday.
Jason Ford, 37, was driven to the hospital by family members after being shot in the 900 block of West Fernando Street around 4:26 a.m. He was pronounced dead just before 5 a.m. as the result of at least one gunshot wound, police said.
Less than an hour after the shooting, San Jose police arrested John Anthony Rios, 28.
Both men are San Jose residents and know each other, police said, but no additional information about the circumstances or motive to the slaying was released on Tuesday.
San Jose has seen 40 homicides in 2013, with one being investigated by San Jose State police.
That tally was reached on exactly the same date last year.
Last year's 40th homicide coincidentally bears strong similarities to Ford's death.
Robert Agulto, 22, died after being shot multiple times and rushed to the hospital by friends. Armando Galvin, 23, was arrested soon after, and authorities said the two knew each other.
Last year ended with 46 homicides in San Jose, the most in 15 years.
Rios is being held without bail and has a court date on Wednesday.
Contact Eric Kurhi at 408-920-5852. Follow him at Twitter.com/erickurhi.