Two wounded in unrelated shootings
Police are investigating a pair of unrelated shootings that occurred on opposite sides of the city Wednesday afternoon and wounded two men.
Police went to the 4300 block of Rock Island Drive around 1:45 p.m. after a man was shot in the stomach during an attempted robbery, according to a news release.
A 19-year-old was walking with two friends when they were confronted by three men in a car, police said. One of the suspects demanded the victim hand over jewelry. When he refused, the suspect shot him once in the upper chest. He was taken to a hospital for treatment.
About an hour later, police responded to another shooting in the 400 block of East 18th Street, where a 26-year-old man was shot in the leg following a confrontation with people in a vehicle.
Both victims are expected to survive.
-- Paul Burgarino, Staff
Family's dog found dead after house ransacked
A family is grieving the death of their dog and police are investigating after burglars ransacked a home on Christmas Eve.
Nora von Ubin, the aunt of the woman who lives in the home, said the unidentified couple and their two daughters arrived home around 8:20 p.m. after spending the afternoon with friends to find the Christmas tree broken and knocked down.
Police said the intruders took many items, including a flat-screen television and other electronic items, and Von Ubin said a closet full of baby clothes and diapers, and a safe-lock box containing many of the couple's important documents also were taken.
According to von Ubin, the family found their dog dead on another block of Harbor Street on Thursday.
-- Rick Hurd, Staff
Dispatcher talks family through CPR rescue
A 4-year-old boy is expected to recover fully after family members, listening to CPR instructions from a dispatcher, helped to rescue the child from drowning in a backyard pool on Christmas Day.
The family called 911 at 7:12 p.m. after they found the boy floating in the pool, unconscious, at the Inverness Way home, Contra Costa Fire District spokesman Kent Kirby said. The family began administering CPR from step-by-step instructions given by the dispatcher, he said.
The boy had partially regained consciousness by the time emergency crews arrived, but was having a hard time breathing, Kirby said. He was taken to John Muir Medical Center in Walnut Creek.
-- Rick Hurd, Staff
BART fares to increase systemwide Jan. 1
BART fares will rise an average of 19 cents, or 5.2 percent, starting Jan. 1.
A one-way trip from Pittsburg to the San Francisco Airport, for example, will rise by 60 cents from $11.05 to $11.65. The price for a trip from Walnut Creek to the Embarcadero Station in San Francisco will jump a quarter from $4.85 to $5.10.
The fare hike is part of the agency's regularly scheduled inflation-based increase program established in 2003.
The agency's nine-member elected board has earmarked the estimated $325 million in additional fare proceeds through 2020 to pay for new railcars, improvements at its Hayward maintenance yard and a new train control system.
-- Lisa Vorderbrueggen, Staff
Christmas burglary at Wal-Mart investigated
Police said two men broke into a Wal-Mart store early Christmas morning and swiped hand-held electronic items.
Police responded to the store in the 2700 block of Las Positas Road around 4 a.m. Wednesday, finding that a window had been smashed and the merchandise taken.
The suspects fled in a light-colored, newer model four-door Dodge Charger with a sunroof and dark-colored wheel rims, Sgt. Jason Boberg said.
-- Paul Burgarino, Staff
Man violates restraining order, arrested
A Richmond man was arrested Wednesday after violating a restraining order and fighting with officers, a police spokeswoman said.
Police were called about 7:30 p.m. to a home in the 100 block of Chanslor Avenue for the 37-year-old man who was violating a restraining order involving his estranged wife, Sgt. Nicole Abetkov said.
When police tried to handcuff the man, he became combative and tried to escape, Abetkov said, and an officer used a stun gun to subdue him. No one was injured in the scuffle.
-- Rebecca Parr, Staff
Another Spare the Air alert called for Friday
The Bay Area Air Quality Management District is prohibiting wood burning through Friday, issuing another in a series of "Winter Spare the Air" alerts.
The alert, the fifth in a row and 20th announced by the district since Nov. 1, bars Bay Area residents from burning wood, fire logs, pellets or other solid fuels either indoors or outdoors. The ban lasts 24 hours.
The Winter Spare the Air program runs through Feb. 28. This season has witnessed a stretch of 11 straight days of alerts, a record for the district.
-- Jeremy Thomas, Staff