Winter Citrus Caprese Salad
Note: Pizzalina uses a combination of citrus fruit from the farmer's market. Feel free to substitute. Grapefruit is a wonderful choice, too.
2 tablespoons pistachios
2 tablespoons local honey
1 Cara Cara orange
1 blood orange
1 yellow tangelo
Four 4-ounce balls of fresh buffalo mozzarella
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
Maldon sea salt (or other flaky sea salt)
1. In a small saute pan over medium heat, toast the pistachios, tossing frequently, until they turn a toasty brown, 3 to 4 minutes. Transfer to a plate to cool. Lightly chop.
2. Gently warm the honey, by placing the jar in a hot water bath.
3. Using a small, sharp knife in lengthwise strokes, remove the peel and pith from the citrus fruit, then slice the fruit crosswise into thin rounds, like wheels.
4. Cut the mozzarella balls into 4 wheel-shaped segments.
5. To serve, drizzle a thin, artistic line of good olive oil across each plate. Arrange the mozzarella and orange wheels, alternating them, piggy back, in a line. Lightly sprinkle the cheese and citrus segments with flaky sea salt. Drizzle with warm honey and add a sprinkling of pistachios.
-- Louise Franz, Pizzalina