Each answer is a seven-letter word, and the middle three letters are "rat." (e.g., Containing many small bubbles of air. Answer: Aerated.)
1. What you do to an itch.
2. Someone whose job is to take care of the objects in a museum.
3. Blackbeard, Captain Kidd and others.
4. A group or class in society.
5. Changing often or not following a regular pattern.
6. The chief structural constituent of hair, nails, horns and hooves.
7. Scolded severely or angrily.
8. Moved in a spiral course.
9. Covered with wax.
North Atlantic Syndicate