Subject: THE ROMAN EMPIRE
(e.g., What preceded the Roman Empire? Answer: The 500-year-old Roman Republic.)
1. The transition to "Empire" was marked by this man's appointment to dictator.
2. Another marker was Octavian's defeat of Antony and Cleopatra in this battle.
3. A third marker was the senate's granting of this honorific to Octavian.
4. The first two centuries are known as the Pax Romana, meaning _____.
5. Under Theodosius I (379-395), this became the empire's official state religion.
6. Name either of the two chief Roman contributions to architecture.
7. When the West collapsed, the eastern half was known as the ____ Empire.
8. What city served as the capital of the eastern empire?
9. Who authored "The History of the Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire"?
1. Julius Caesar.
2. Battle of Actium.
4. Roman Peace.
6. The arch and the dome.
9. Edward Gibbon.