Walnut Creek

Police: Man shot after concert was targeted

Police investigating the weekend shooting of a man inside a car after a Concord Pavilion concert are convinced the shooter targeted the victim.

"We are willing to say now that we don't believe this was random," Walnut Creek police Lt. Steve Gorski said. "We believe the person who did the shooting was targeting someone."

On Tuesday, a 36-year-old man from Sacramento remained in critical condition at a hospital. He was a passenger in a white, four-door Mercedes that was hit at least 17 times by gunfire on Ygnacio Valley Road.

The female driver was treated for minor injuries at a hospital and released Monday.

The shooting happened just before 8 p.m. Sunday at the intersection of Ygnacio Valley and Oak Grove roads. The shooter pulled up and started firing at the passenger seat, then got out of his car and fired several more times into the car. The shooter fled onto Oak Grove, toward Concord.

The suspect is described as a black man in his early to mid-20s, about 6 feet 2 inches tall with a medium build. He was wearing a black three-hole mask, a T-shirt and bluejeans and was armed with a semi-automatic handgun, police said. He was driving a light-colored, four-door sedan, possibly a Honda.

-- Rick Hurd, Staff

Walnut Creek

Fake trail signs carry alarming message


Advertisement

Don't worry hikers, bikers and outdoor enthusiasts, because Walnut Creek's open space will remain open -- and free.

An official-looking sign spotted Tuesday at the Bayberry entrance of the Ygnacio Canal Trail, which leads into the Lime Ridge Open Space, said that beginning June 15, Walnut Creek would charge people and dogs to use the open space trails. It said that "all round-trip and one-way fares will be as follows: Persons over 5 years old: $1" and 50 cents for dogs.

But Mike Vickers, public services manager for the city, said the flier and the idea of charging for access to the open space and use of trails are all an elaborate prank.

"Certainly people will not be charged to use the trail this year, or any time," Vickers said.

The city found that similar fliers had been posted along the trail at various entrances.

The one at Bayberry said it was the future home of "tollbooth number six" and that failure to pay the admission would result in a $252 citation. Alarmingly, the sign also said that "toll takers are licensed to carry firearms."

The city is looking into who may have produced the fake fliers.

-- Elisabeth Nardi, Staff

Antioch

Man shot during Sunday carjacking

Police are trying to identify a suspect who shot a 23-year-old Antioch man during a carjacking over the weekend.

Officers responded just before 8:30 p.m. Sunday to 507 E. 18th St. for a report of a man who had been shot and had his vehicle stolen near Dutch Pride Gas and Food, Sgt. Mike Hulsey said.

Responding officers found the man suffering from a single gunshot wound. He was taken to a hospital to be treated for an injury that was not considered life-threatening.

The victim told police that an unidentified male shot him and took his vehicle, but gave officers no further information about the shooting.

As of Tuesday there had been no arrests.

-- Natalie Neysa Alund, Staff

Concord

District may restore fifth-grade music

The Mount Diablo school board on Wednesday is scheduled to vote on a plan to restore instrumental music instruction in fifth grade, after students, parents and teachers have decried cuts that were made several years ago.

The board also expects to approve a contract with the psychologists' union, along with new and revised policies and regulations aimed at eliminating discrimination and harassment.

In addition, the board expects to approve a district office reorganization plan proposed earlier this month by Superintendent Nellie Meyer.

The meeting is at 7:30 p.m. in the district office at 1936 Carlotta Drive. More information is available by calling 925-682-8000 ext. 4000 or by at http://esbpublic.mdusd.k12.ca.us.

-- Theresa Harrington, Staff

Contra Costa

Two injured in pair of freeway wrecks

Two people were hospitalized Tuesday in separate wrecks about 11 miles apart, wreaking havoc with freeway and side-road traffic for much of the morning, the California Highway Patrol said.

The first wreck involved a van and two other cars, initially reported to be a white Volkswagen Jetta and a white Toyota, CHP Officer Kevin Bartlett said. That crash happened at 8:06 a.m. near the Acalanes Road exit on westbound Highway 24 in Lafayette and sent one person to the hospital with minor injuries, he said.

A motorcyclist was injured less than an hour later in a wreck that also involved two trucks, Bartlett said. That crash happened at 8:52 a.m. on southbound Interstate 680 near the Monument Boulevard exit in Pleasant Hill, Bartlett said. The CHP did not have information on the condition of the motorcyclist or the truck drivers.

-- Rick Hurd, Staff

Richmond

Trustees to discuss construction, budget

The West Contra Costa school board on Wednesday expects to discuss an application seeking to increase its bond debt ceiling, the district's new accountability plan and its budget.

In addition, the board expects to hear comments regarding a planned JROTC program at DeAnza High and to receive a status update on bond construction at Coronado Elementary and DeAnza High.

It will also recognize several students and schools for recent achievements.

The meeting is at 6:30 p.m. in the multiuse room at Lovonya DeJean Middle School at 3400 Macdonald Ave. In Richmond. More information is available by calling 510-231-1101 or by visiting www.wccusd.net.

-- Theresa Harrington, Staff