ALAMEDA -- An electrical problem sparked a fire inside an apartment at a converted Victorian on Walnut Street Friday afternoon that caused about $60,000 in damage, firefighters said.

The fire, which was reported at 2:01 p.m., also displaced the residents at the five-unit building in the 1500 block of the street.

No one was hurt and crews extinguished the fire within minutes of arriving, Alameda fire Capt. Jim Colburn said.

The fire began behind a wall in an upper floor unit at the two-story building, which is on the corner of Santa Clara Avenue, Colburn said. The resident reported it after noticing flames emerging from an electrical socket.

The fire reached the attic before it was contained. Damage was estimated at $50,000 to the building structure and $10,000 to the contents.

The American Red Cross is assisting the residents who have been displaced.

Reach Peter Hegarty at 510-749-1654 or follow him on Twitter.com/Peter_Hegarty/.



Advertisement