DUBLIN -- The belfry of Old St. Raymond's Church gleams in the morning sun on a recent clear winter Sunday.
The Catholic church was built in 1859, and the belfry was added in 1880. It is the oldest existing Catholic church in the East Bay. According to Dublin history, the church was originally a mission church served by a priest who rode out from Oakland on horseback. The church held its first wedding in 1865.
In 1966, when the new St. Raymond's church opened, the Oakland Diocese gave the building to the Amador-Livermore Valley Historical Society to be preserved and restored. The church was sold in 1993 to the City of Dublin.
Located on Donlon Road at the Dublin Heritage Park and Museums, the small, restored church is available for community and private rental uses, including weddings, funerals and gatherings of up to 84 people. For more information, visit http://dublinca.gov/Facilities/Facility/ Details/17.
-- Kelly Gust, Staff