Click photo to enlarge
Rory McIlroy, of Northern Ireland, signs autographs after a practice round for the PGA Championship golf tournament at Valhalla Golf Club on Tuesday, Aug. 5, 2014, in Louisville, Ky. The tournament is set to begin on Thursday. (AP Photo/David J. Phillip)

SYDNEY (AP) — Rory McIlroy has confirmed he'll return to defend his Australian Open title in November.

Top-ranked McIlroy, coming off victories at the British Open and the WGC Bridgestone Invitational, on Wednesday said he'll contest the Australian tournament from Nov. 27-30 in Sydney.

The 25-year-old Northern Irishman won the title last year by a stroke over Australia's Adam Scott and credited the victory with helping him regain his form and momentum.

In a statement, McIlroy says the crowds "really loved the showdown between myself and Adam. And it proved to be a really important win for me."

McIlroy led from start to finish at Hoylake to win the British Open, then overpowered Firestone last weekend to win his first World Golf Championship. Now he is the overwhelming favorite at the PGA Championship.



Advertisement