St. Elizabeth High is suspending its football program for the 2013 season due to a lack of players, confirmed St. Elizabeth principal Marty Procaccio.

"We saw declining numbers on the participation level, and last year we started with 16 and ended with 10," Procaccio said. "This year when we had spring ball going, we had a limited number of sign-ups. We had less than 16. ... We found out the interest level just isn't really there right now. We thought we would suspend the program for the safety of the kids."

Procaccio said that the football program will be re-assessed by December.

St. Elizabeth, which has only 150 students, forfeited its last game in 2012 and two games in the 2011 season because of a lack of players. It finished 0-10 overall in each of the last three seasons. The Mustangs' last win was on Dec. 4, 2009 in the North Coast Section Division V championship game over St. Vincent. St. Elizabeth also won the NCS Division IV title in 2007.