'Wichcraft's Roasted Turkey Sandwich
Makes 4 sandwiches
Note: This signature sandwich, from Tom Colicchio's 'Wichcraft, elevates Thanksgiving leftovers to new heights.
2 yellow onions, thinly sliced
1/4 cup dark brown sugar
1/2 cup red wine vinegar
1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
1 egg yolk
1/2 clove garlic, minced (about 1/2 teaspoon)
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1/2 ounce white wine vinegar
4 ounces grapeseed oil
1 ounce olive oil
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/8 teaspoon pepperoncini or cayenne pepper
12 slices bacon
4 ciabatta rolls
1 pound roasted turkey breast, sliced
1 avocado, pitted, peeled and thinly sliced
1. In a heavy medium pot, combine onions and enough water to cover. Bring to a boil, then strain. Return onions to pot, add sugar and vinegars, and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to low; cook, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until onions are completely tender and have no bite left, and the liquid is syrupy, about 90 minutes. Cool to room temperature.
2. In a food processor or blender, puree the yolk, garlic, mustard and vinegar until creamy, 1 to 2 minutes. Combine oils. With motor running, slowly drizzle oils into processor until completely emulsified, 2 minutes. (If aioli gets too thick, add warm water, 1 teaspoon at a time.) Sprinkle in salt, pepper and pepperoncini; cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate.
3. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
4. In a large, heavy skillet over moderate heat, cook 6 slices bacon, turning occasionally, until crisp. Drain on a paper towel-lined plate. Repeat with remaining bacon.
5. Slice each roll in half, and place on large baking sheet. Divide turkey among ciabatta bottoms; top with onion relish. Divide bacon among top halves. Toast in oven until bacon is crispy and edges of ciabatta turn light golden brown, 5 minutes.
6. Remove from oven. Transfer bacon, laying it on the onion relish. Top with avocado. Spread top halves with aioli, close sandwiches, slice in half, and serve.
-- Tom Colicchio, 'Wichcraft, Epicurious.com