LIVERMORE-- An early morning house fire displaced two people and their pets after the home's laundry room went up in flames Friday, firefighters said.

About 7:50 a.m., firefighters responded to reports of a fire at a residence in the 200 block of Edythe Street, Battalion Chief Joe Testa said. Crews arrived find heavy smoke and made their way into the home, putting out a fire in the laundry room within about 10 minutes.

The two residents of the home managed to escape with their pets, Testa said. No injuries were reported.

Officials believe the fire was started by a malfunction of a refrigerator kept in the home's laundry room, Testa said. The volume of items stored near the refrigerator may have contributed to its spread.

Though damage from the flames was contained to the laundry room, there was smoke damage in the rest of the house, Testa said. The cost of damage to the home and its contents is estimated at about $50,000.

Though the house was not inhabitable after the fire, the homeowners were allowed in to gather their belongings, Testa said. A place is being found where residents can stay until they can return to the home.

Contact Erin Ivie at 925-847-2122. Follow her at Twitter.com/erin_ivie.