ALAMEDA -- Tenants in a converted Victorian apartment house have been temporarily displaced after a floor furnace caught a rug on fire Tuesday afternoon.
Alameda city firefighters responded to the residential fire on the 2100 block of San Jose Avenue shortly before 5 p.m., and firefighters had to use power saws to cut open the floors and the walls of the home to find the source of the fire and extinguish it.
None of the other three units in the 4-unit converted Victorian home were affected.
Damage was estimated to be about $50,000 to the home, and another $10,000 for items inside.
No injuries were reported.
The fire department said the residents were displaced due to the fire, but the damage is repairable.
Contact Katie Nelson at 925-945-4780 or follow her at Twitter.com/katienelson210.