ANTIOCH -- A woman who moved burned food from her kitchen into her garage Wednesday afternoon got an unpleasant surprise: the garage caught fire.

The hot food and the bag it was placed in flared up, causing several thousand dollars to the garage and its contents on the 5400 block of East Creek Court, the Contra Costa fire department reported.

"She placed the burned food in the garage, thinking it was out," said Clyde Savacool, a battalion chief.

The fire was reported at 2:26 p.m. Wednesday and brought under control by firefighters within minutes.

No one was injured, the fire department reported.

Contact Denis Cuff at 925-943-8267. Follow him at Twitter.com/deniscuff.