BRENTWOOD -- The surrounding neighbors of a controversial Brentwood housing development who recently appealed the project have come to a compromise with the developer, who will pay the city an additional $350,000 for amenities.
At a special Friday night meeting, the Brentwood City Council accepted this agreement between the developer and appellants. Councilman Erick Stonebarger was the sole dissenting vote in a 4-1 council vote that allowed the removal of various conditions of approval from the Ferro-Ronconi project, on the northeast corner of Balfour Road and Griffith Lane.
The extra developer funds will cover improvements to nearby McClarren Park, which is one of the city's oldest parks, including restrooms, lighting, security cameras and a playground for preschoolers. The funding may also be used to install a traffic signal at the busy intersection of Walnut Boulevard and McClarren Road.
"I'm very happy for the community that you will be getting some of the amenities that are long deserved. Your part of Brentwood is some of the ones that have been here the longest and have given the most to Brentwood," Brentwood Vice Mayor Joel Bryant said to the neighbors in attendance. "We owe it to you to understand that your voices are very precious and valuable."
Since the project planning was initiated in 2007, a number of previous conditions of approval have been removed from the project due to the economic downturn and the suspension of the city's Residential Growth Management Program. Some of those previous mandates were for the developer to construct a new traffic signal, park and road widening project.
The future project by Duc Development will include 160 lots with 3.78 units per acre, a pocket park and a sound wall on the south side of Balfour. Councilman Steve Barr urged residents to continue advocating for their neighborhood.
"Don't stop fighting. Don't stop asking this council to do its job," Barr said. "If the residents are OK, I am OK."
Speaking on behalf of the neighborhood, Brentwood resident Denise Barrios said that they are not withdrawing their appeal but accepting a compromise. She added that the city should reference this appeal in considering future developments.
"The impact to the neighborhood and the impact to other city services must also be considered before finalizing any amendment to conditions on a project," Barrios said.
Stonebarger said that the project's amenities and density were always linked historically and he added that the density was only allowed to be higher because of the amenities that were previously included in the project.
"I don't believe that it would be appropriate to dismiss all of the conditions and continue to keep the density of 160 (lots)," he said.
Brentwood Mayor Bob Taylor warned the developer that the finished project should reflect the city's high standards of living.
"You are going to be scrutinized," he said. "You are going to be an example of future housing."
Reach Paula King at 925-779-7174 or firstname.lastname@example.org.