Through Nov. 1, Cat-Oberfest is under way at Friends of the Alameda Animal Shelter. Cats can be adopted for $5 and kittens for $50. We have a very full shelter with a variety of felines available for adoption, so stop by and say hello.
All cats and kittens are spayed/neutered before adoption, have been microchipped, health-screened, vaccinated and are ready to go! As part of our Cat-Oberfest, we'd like adopters to bring in a bag of dry cat food for the FAAS Pet Food Pantry, which helps low-income pet owners feed their pets. To adopt from FAAS, everyone in the household must meet the prospective new pet. Please bring proof of homeownership or a copy of your lease indicating you can have a pet where you live.
As part of our Cat-Oberfest this month, we are sharing interesting information about our feline friends. Here are some fascinating and little known Cat Facts.
1. The Egyptian mau is believed to be the oldest feline breed. It is so ancient that its name is the Egyptian word for cat.
2. In seven years, one pair of cats and their offspring could produce as many as 420,000 kittens -- a good reason to spay and neuter.
3. Females tend to be right-pawed while males tend to be left-pawed.
4. About one-third of cat owners think their cats can read their minds.
5. One reason kittens sleep so much is because this is when their growth hormone is released.
6. Cats are North America's most popular pet; 30 percent of homes own a cat.
7. Cats hear better than dogs and can hear two octaves higher than humans.
8. Felines can jump up to five times their own height in a single bound.
Halloween is coming up fast, and Alameda is the premier site for Halloween activities. Please remember that your pets don't like Halloween as much as we do. Keep them safe inside while all the ghosts and goblins are trick-or-treating. And keep all the goodies you've purchased for your visitors out of your pets' reach. Chocolate can be fatal to dogs, and all candies will make your pets ill. We hope you have a wonderful Halloween and that your pets are happy and safe.
Pet Of The Week: ADAM is a 4-month-old neutered white hot-tot rabbit with striking black eyeliner.
DOG ALLEY: There are 23 dogs available at the Alameda Animal Shelter. TUG is a cute 5-month-old brindled pit mix that is super-smart. SPITZ is a 1-year-old black-and-white corgi-and-border-terrier mix.
CAT LAIR: There are 36 felines available at the Alameda Animal Shelter. RORY is an exceptionally cute 2-month-old brown-and-black kitten. PANDORA is a very pretty gray/white kitten that loves to be loved.
RABBIT ROW: MARTIN. a neutered agouti; SPECKLES, a neutered English spot; and BUN BUNS, a brown-and-white lop mini rex, are all in foster homes. ASH is a 4-month-old white and gray English spot.
Mim Carlson is executive director of Friends of the Alameda Animal Shelter. Visit the shelter at 1590 Fortmann Way at Grand Street, call 510-337-8565 or visit www.alamedaanimalshelter.org to view the animals.